- 1(In card games, especially bridge) a pair of cards which are the only cards of their suit in a hand: [as modifier]: a doubleton aceMore example sentences
- In a trump contract, the play of a higher card followed by a lower one may be made from a doubleton, indicating a desire to ruff, rather than just from a holding including a high card.
- 1.1A pair of people or things.More example sentences
- The difference in sign of Tajima's D for each locus separately suggests a slight excess of singletons and doubletons in the North Carolina population, although this is not significant.
- The distribution of singletons, doubletons (low frequency variants), and other (high frequency) variants among the continents was investigated.
- We excluded singletons and doubletons and compared the following seven sites in order: M1046, M1312, M1414, M4325, A2144, A3203, and A3416.
early 20th century: from double, on the pattern of singleton.
More definitions of doubletonDefinition of doubleton in:
- The US English dictionary