(US also donut)
1A small fried cake of sweetened dough, typically in the shape of a ball or ring.
- The menu mentioned toasted teacakes, scones, doughnuts, Danish pastries and flapjack.
- For simple fare, try sugar cookies, doughnuts, muffins or coffee cake with coffee and cocoa or hot spiced cider.
- There's a place called the Donut Pub on West 23rd that makes confection and cake donuts.
1.1A ring-shaped object, in particular a vacuum chamber in some types of particle accelerator.
- Joining the remaining pair of sides turns the cylinder into a doughnut, or torus (right).
- It is endlessly turning upon itself, a torus, a doughnut, spinning on the axis of the circular cylinder that is the doughnut.
- One unusual machine shoots a donut of compressed air.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: dough|nut
Definition of doughnut in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.