- A woman who gives support, help, and advice to another woman during pregnancy and during and after the birth: from admission through delivery, a doula stayed at her assigned patient’s sideMore example sentences
- Other choices, such as labor support and doulas, nonpharmacologic pain-relief methods, and pharmacologic pain-relief methods other than intravenous narcotics or epidurals, should be available.
- A recent large RCT demonstrated that providing continuous labor support with nurses instead of doulas had no effect on cesarean delivery rates or other birth outcomes.
- The doula attends the birth which can take place in the hospital or at home with a midwife, making both parents feel relaxed and providing physical comfort and emotional support.
1960s: modern Greek, from Greek doulē 'female slave'.
More definitions of doulaDefinition of doula in:
- The US English dictionary