Definition of downchange in English:
A change to a lower gear in a motor vehicle.
- I have now accustomed myself to its limitations and have become reserved about overtaking and used to swift downchanges of gear.
- You need to match the revs on the downchange when pressing on with the largely forgotten art of heel-and-toe.
- It would be better if the brake pedal offered a more stable fulcrum for heel-and-toe downchanges, even if that meant it needed a firmer shove.
verb[with object] Back to top
1.1 [no object] Change to a lower gear.
- The system worked well, t hough it seemed slow to respond to the ‘resume’ command - unlike some German vehicles, which respond fast by downchanging and propelling you to the chosen speed.
- Cue frantic braking, downchanging and wheel twirling in that order, combined with the anticipation of the front end sliding wide to the accompaniment of squealing rubber.
- I just downchanged going up a hill, and it snapped on me.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia