Of, in, or to a part of a state that is remote from its large cities, especially the southern part.
More example sentences
- But since many residents own cars (for the occasional downstate drive to bigger cities or the airport), they tend to use them for shorter trips, too.
- Where I live in downstate NY, we have city water, east of here they have well water.
- His victory in the March primary - winning 53 percent of the vote overall against six substantial candidates, including many city, suburban and downstate areas with few black voters - seemed to open a new era in racial politics.
noun[mass noun] Back to top
- More example sentences
- Wealthy downstaters are deciding that, if they're not getting a tax cut anyway, they might as well vote for the party that's fully committed to it.
- Although acres of corn and beans will never be confused with Michigan Avenue, the plain fact is that Chicagoans and downstaters think - and speak - differently.
Definition of downstate in:
- The US English dictionary