Of, in, or to a part of a state that is remote from its large cities, especially the southern part.
- But since many residents own cars (for the occasional downstate drive to bigger cities or the airport), they tend to use them for shorter trips, too.
- Where I live in downstate NY, we have city water, east of here they have well water.
- His victory in the March primary - winning 53 percent of the vote overall against six substantial candidates, including many city, suburban and downstate areas with few black voters - seemed to open a new era in racial politics.
A remote part of a state.
- I think downstate is much more similar to NJ.
- Example sentences
- Wealthy downstaters are deciding that, if they're not getting a tax cut anyway, they might as well vote for the party that's fully committed to it.
- Although acres of corn and beans will never be confused with Michigan Avenue, the plain fact is that Chicagoans and downstaters think - and speak - differently.
Words that rhyme with downstateabate, ablate, aerate, ait, await, backdate, bait, bate, berate, castrate, collate, conflate, crate, create, cremate, date, deflate, dictate, dilate, distraite, donate, eight, elate, equate, estate, fate, fête, fixate, freight, frustrate, gait, gate, gestate, gradate, grate, great, gyrate, hate, hydrate, inflate, innate, interrelate, interstate, irate, Kate, Kuwait, lactate, late, locate, lustrate, mandate, mate, migrate, misdate, misstate, mistranslate, mutate, narrate, negate, notate, orate, ornate, Pate, placate, plate, prate, prorate, prostrate, pulsate, pupate, quadrate, rate, rotate, sate, sedate, serrate, short weight, skate, slate, spate, spectate, spruit, stagnate, state, straight, strait, Tate, tête-à-tête, Thwaite, translate, translocate, transmigrate, truncate, underrate, understate, underweight, update, uprate, upstate, up-to-date, vacate, vibrate, wait, weight
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: down|state
Definition of downstate in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.