Definition of downwardly in English:
Towards a lower level; in a downward direction.
- He is in a difficult situation, because this is the second time he has downwardly revised growth figures.
- The lower formation 44 comprises a downwardly opening channel 46 having a pair of opposed internal projections 48 that extend towards each other but do not meet.
- This will mean that in rural areas for some locations the number of beds that can be reached will be upwardly biased, while for other locations in the same area the number of beds that can be reached will be downwardly biased.
- see mobile.Example sentences
- Downwardly mobile people like myself, or college students fresh off the parental dole, often get themselves in trouble for a couple reasons.
- In another case, racism is articulated by downwardly mobile groups targeting nearby others.
- I'm happy enough to be the black sheep of the team, just like I'm the most downwardly mobile member of my family.
Pronunciation: /ˌdaʊnwədli ˈməʊbʌɪl/
Definition of downwardly in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.