noun[mass noun] Medicine
A bacterial antibiotic that is widely used to treat leukaemia and various other forms of cancer.
- This is produced by the streptomycete bacterium Streptomyces peucetius caesius
More example sentences
- The patient was treated with cyclophosphamide, doxorubicin, vincristine, and prednisone chemotherapy starting in August 1998.
- Cancer drugs used for primary bone cancer include methotrexate, doxorubicin, and cisplatin.
- Adjuvant therapy, multidrug chemotherapy was carried out with methotrexate, cyclophosphamide, doxorubicin, vincristine, and prednisone.
1970s: from deoxy- (in the sense 'that has lost oxygen') + Latin rubus 'red' + -mycin.
Definition of doxorubicin in:
- The US English dictionary