1A device used for draining things, in particular:
- There is an open fireplace with back boiler and the Belfast sink has a tiled drainer.
- During my early childhood, a brick boiler, or ` copper ' as it was called stood in the corner next to the drainer.
- Each auto shop was provided with the proper equipment for handling used oil, including double-walled containment tanks, oil filter crushers, drainer containers, and spill response kits.
1.1A rack placed on a draining board to hold crockery and cutlery while it drains.
- If you run it under hot water you will also find that when you leave it to dry in the cutlery drainer that it will dry off quicker and have fewer streaks.
- The water turned off as it reached the top of the sink basin, and Felicity watched transfixed as the dishes washed and dried themselves and put themselves neatly in the drainer rack.
- He usually doesn't leave again until at least 11 pm, when all the food has been eaten, the plates are drying on the drainer and the cooker is a lot cleaner than when he arrived.
1.2A draining board.
- When we got home Harry Cat did the ‘Give me a treat, then’ dance on the counter top and Dolly the Mega-Cat sat on the drainer watching the tap drip into the basin.
- At DIY shops, you can buy a single bowl with drainer in stainless steel from £21.99.
- With an almost instantaneous deflation of her aplomb, she shot off the drainer, out of the kitchen door and off onto the patio, complaining loudly all the way.
Words that rhyme with drainerabstainer, arcana, campaigner, Cana, caner, cantilena, complainer, container, detainer, entertainer, explainer, Gaenor, gainer, Gaynor, grainer, Jena, Lena, maintainer, Marlene, N'Djamena, obtainer, ordainer, planar, planer, profaner, Rayner, retainer, scena, seiner, Sinn Feiner, strainer, sustainer, trainer, uniplanar
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: drain¦er
Definition of drainer in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.