Definition of draughtsman in English:
noun (plural draughtsmen)
1A person who makes detailed technical plans or drawings.
- These courses are geared towards engineers, architects, draughtsmen and technical designers.
- Less than two years after a furore erupted over draughtsmen preparing drawings and plans for planning permission, the Council again finds itself embroiled in controversy as a result of a junior employee carrying out a ‘drawings nixer’.
- Hagen Koch was turned from a technical draughtsman into Erich Honecker's personal cartographer - he literally drew the line that the Berlin Wall would follow.
0.1An artist skilled in drawing.
- Sloan, a master printmaker and draughtsman, was skilled in the instant, action-packed psychological graphic.
- The exhibition is spread over two floors and embraces every facet of Dali's genius as a painter, draughtsman, printmaker and sculptor, with a good number of his most important works on view.
- It is also a fictional evocation of a long-vanished age in which draughtsmen and painters were employed by country-house owners in England to draw or paint their estates, their property, their houses and gardens.
2 variant spelling of draftsman (sense 1).
- A Government spokeswoman said it was being passed to a parliamentary draughtsman for completion and it would be revealed in the Dáil tomorrow.
- So, as I found out, Ernst Plischke came to New Zealand in 1939 and got a job as a draughtsman in the Housing Department.
- He said in both cases they had been prepared by a parliamentary draughtsman, who was a former member of the AG's office.
- Example sentences
- The quality of the draughtsmanship of cartoons was spectacular.
- They know the importance of the model rules and good draughtsmanship.
- Within a year or so, he had moved to the nearby village of Ermington and the notebooks he kept in the 1960s reveal his remarkable draughtsmanship, his deep love of the local countryside and his delight in the rural community.
Definition of draughtsman in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia