verb (drees, dreeing, dreed)[with object] Scottish or archaic
Endure (something burdensome or painful): he dreed pain and dolour
More example sentences
- He dreed his penance age by age.
- The work of strife he dreed.
Old English drēogan, of Germanic origin; related to Old Norse drýgja 'practise, perpetrate'.
dree one's weird
- Submit to one’s destiny.More example sentences
- And withal she dreed her weird with a lofty courage.
- "He dreed his weird," said Mrs. McLane indifferently.
Definition of dree in:
- The US English dictionary