A person whose job is making women’s clothes.
More example sentences
- At the same time there were harness makers, tailors, dressmakers, builders, blacksmiths, wheelwrights, watchmakers, saddlers, masons and carpenters.
- More often than not, I must hire a dressmaker to alter my clothes.
- At the time of the 1851 census in Britain, there were 268,000 milliners and dressmakers, as against 502,000 people working in cotton textile manufacture (including printing and dyeing).
- More example sentences
- I do not want to go to Bradford to look at books about dressmaking and as a dressmaking tutor I do not want to have to order a book simply by its title alone.
- Paddy was also responsible for dispatching many sewing machines, which formed the basis of a thriving school for tailoring and dressmaking.
- Please rest assured that the dressmaking (ironing, hemming) is continuing, although there have been some problems with getting support in certain problem areas.