- 1A device for introducing fluid drop by drop into a system, for example lubricating oil into an engine.More example sentences
- This is often used by bikes which have a drip feed to the chains.
- This self-watering plant pot's main feature is a medical drip feed.
- 1.1A medicinal drip.More example sentences
- He might have added that anyone hooked up to a drip-feed in a hospital could clear off as well, since a hospital for women and children was precisely one of the targets bombed last night according to residents.
verbBack to top
- 1 (drip-feed) [with object] Introduce (fluid) drop by drop: the oiler drip-feeds oil on to all drive chainsMore example sentences
- Those that can't cope without water are drip-fed via a computer irrigation system.
- Her mother then tries to drip feed her with a syringe, but she won't take the liquid.
- You could, instead of using a tube, you could have a nurse stand over Terri and drip feed food down her throat.
- 1.1Supply (a patient) with fluid, nutrients, or drugs through a drip: the babies were drip-fed through their nosesMore example sentences
- That was a sensible price for what is an interesting, but very early stage, company whose second big product - a syringe pump, able to drip-feed drugs into the body over long periods - is even more exciting.
- For four-and-a-half years he wore a tiny backpack at all times, being drip-fed vital drugs into his heart every four minutes to keep him alive.
- Every five days he is taken to hospital to be drip-fed.
- 1.2Provide gradually and in small amounts: their correspondence is being drip-fed to newspapersMore example sentences
- Far better to drip-feed amounts into the stock market, so that when share prices fall, you are buying at bargain prices, and when they rise, you can enjoy their growth.
- So, once again, we are seeing confirmation that this bill does not deliver anything for most working New Zealanders at all, and for those to whom it does deliver something, it drip-feeds it out over a couple of years.
- Aimed squarely at the teenage audience, it drip-feeds the audience colour and comfortable, safe excitement in a neat, glossy package.
More definitions of drip feedDefinition of drip feed in:
- The US English dictionary