verb (drubs, drubbing, drubbed)[with object]
- 1Hit or beat (someone) repeatedly: he was drubbed with tiresome regularity by his classmatesMore example sentences
- With each flash a great jolt drubbed me till I thought my bones would break.
- 1.1 • informal Defeat thoroughly in a match or contest: the Cleveland Indians drubbed Baltimore 9-0More example sentences
- In 1999, Crowley repeated the feat, this time drubbing Collins.
- Ben Franklin drubs Thomas Jefferson in the race to be our nation's foremost Renaissance man.
- Kandia's young reserves managed half that tally, drubbing their Empire opponents 5-1.
early 17th century: probably from Arabic ḍaraba 'to beat, bastinado'. The first recorded uses in English are by travellers in the Near East referring specifically to the punishment of bastinado.
More definitions of drubDefinition of drub in:
- The US English dictionary