North American • informal
noun(usually one's druthers)
- One’s preference in a matter: if I had my druthers, I would prefer to be a writerMore example sentences
- Given my druthers I'd re-edit episode 1, for that matter, but that won't happen.
- I'll take ‘Message In a Bottle’ or ‘Stand or Fall,’ given my druthers.
- Something really, really bad happened to me, something that changed my life in ways that, if I had my druthers, it would never have been changed at all.
adverbBack to top
late 19th century: from a US regional pronunciation of I'd rather, contraction of would rather.
More definitions of drutherDefinition of druther in:
- The US English dictionary