Definition of duchess in English:
1The wife or widow of a duke.
- There are the kings and queens, princes and princesses, dukes and duchesses, and barons.
- The duchess, a widow, is forbidden to marry again by her brothers Duke Ferdinand and the cardinal because they want to control her wealth.
- None of the dogs belonging to either the duke and duchess or the earl and countess ever barked.
1.1A woman holding a rank equivalent to duke in her own right.
- Sarah strolled into the Blue Salon, an elegant parlor in the east wing of the house, and found the duchess in conversation with Lady Rhianna.
- She rose in rank from fair maiden to fair lady and then to duchess.
- A lady below the rank of duchess was likely to be rusticated from the court if she sat upon a cushioned stool in the royal chapel or, if in the presence of the King, anywhere else.
Definition of duchess in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia