Definition of duchess in English:
1The wife or widow of a duke.
- There are the kings and queens, princes and princesses, dukes and duchesses, and barons.
- The duchess, a widow, is forbidden to marry again by her brothers Duke Ferdinand and the cardinal because they want to control her wealth.
- None of the dogs belonging to either the duke and duchess or the earl and countess ever barked.
1.1A woman holding a rank equivalent to duke in her own right.
- Sarah strolled into the Blue Salon, an elegant parlor in the east wing of the house, and found the duchess in conversation with Lady Rhianna.
- She rose in rank from fair maiden to fair lady and then to duchess.
- A lady below the rank of duchess was likely to be rusticated from the court if she sat upon a cushioned stool in the royal chapel or, if in the presence of the King, anywhere else.
Words that rhyme with duchesscannabis • arabis • purchase
Definition of duchess in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.