- 1 (also duchesse satin) [mass noun] A soft, heavy, glossy kind of satin, usually of silk: [as modifier]: a mauve duchesse evening dressMore example sentences
- Her duchesse satin jacket has the potential to be one of the hits of the collection.
- The bride, given in marriage by her father Nickey, looked radiant in an ivory strapless duchesse satin dress with beaded neckline.
- The makers of white duchesse satin are upping production.
- 3 (also duchesse dressing table) A dressing table with a pivoting mirror.More example sentences
- I saw my self-esteem fading as I angled the duchesse mirror to contemplate the horror of my decayed teeth.
late 18th century (in sense 2): from French, literally 'duchess'.
More definitions of duchesseDefinition of duchesse in:
- The US English dictionary