Definition of duende in English:
1A quality of passion and inspiration.
- In addition to its destabilizing qualities, Garcia Lorca associates duende with ever-present danger, death, and renewal.
- We diminish, by calling it atmosphere, a dark quality closer to Lorca's duende.
- For those who have experienced duende this is not an honest picture of reality.
1.1 [count noun] A spirit.
- They were visited at times by duendes.
- The duende can cause disease, but placing gourds of food for them in a doorway will prevent an epidemic.
- A character specific to the Sierra region is the duende, a large-eyed sprite who wears a hat and who preys on children.
1920s: from Spanish, contraction of duen de casa, from dueño de casa 'owner of the house'.
Words that rhyme with duendeAllende
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan