noun (plural same or dugongs)
- A sea cow found on the coasts of the Indian Ocean from eastern Africa to northern Australia. It is distinguished from the manatees by its forked tail.
More example sentences
- Dugong dugon, family Dugongidae
- Genetic evidence suggests that the elephant's closest relatives in evolutionary terms are manatees and dugongs, herbivorous sea cows that live full-time in the water.
- Dugongs and manatees make up the order Sirenia, so-named because dugongs and manatees are thought to have given rise to the myth of the mermaids or sirens of the sea.
- A modern analog for this is the dugong from the Pacific Ocean.
early 19th century: based on Malay duyong.
More definitions of dugongDefinition of dugong in:
- The US English dictionary