1A small lift for carrying things, especially food and crockery, between the floors of a building.
- A Venetian invention, a casino was a kind of bijou summerhouse specifically designed for illicit sex: the food was delivered by dumb waiter so no shenanigans could be observed.
- As they laze about the room, the two men engage in high-brow, seemingly irrelevant arguments, while being frequently interrupted by a dumb waiter - that is, a small elevator in the wall.
- A lift might be out of the question, but we might install a dumb waiter.
2British A movable table, typically with revolving shelves, used in a dining room.
- But officers on their return found mouse droppings near bins, on the floor, behind a freezer and under a steel table near the dumb waiter.
- In that country, too, there was a vogue for incorporating coasters in dumb waiters.
- The combination of Tudor and Thai works well - I particularly like the antique dumb waiter which faithfully delivers dish upon dish of steaming hot food.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: dumb wait¦er
Definition of dumb waiter in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.