Definition of dumb-bell in English:
1A short bar with a weight at each end, used typically in pairs for exercise or muscle-building.
- Acupressure treatment aids such as balls, dumb-bells and small cubes made of wood, believed to help improve blood circulation, are on offer for prices ranging from Rs.20 onwards.
- For example, rather than a heavy barbell squat, just use light dumb-bells or a ball against the wall.
- All candidates will be following a special exercise programme, which involves using the rowing machine and stretching with dumb-bells.
1.1 [as modifier] Shaped like a dumb-bell: a dumb-bell molecule
More example sentences
- In the case of the large uranium nucleus it could even wobble into a dumb-bell shape, from which it might occasionally split into two distinct smaller nuclei of slightly unequal size.
- The cup-marked stone shown below, in the Sma’ Glen, near Crieff, Perthshire, Scotland, is situated in a large man-made concave-shaped amphitheatre in the hills, and has a prominent dumb-bell shaped cup-mark on its surface.
- Sometimes, dumb-bell or ring-shaped mitochondria occur but with no evidence of associated membrane degeneration.
Definition of dumb-bell in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan