Definition of dumbfound in English:
Greatly astonish or amaze: she was dumbfounded at the sight that met her eyes [as adjective]: a dumbfounded look on her face
More example sentences
- The ability of all these top-level singers to deliver whole programmes from memory never ceases to amaze and dumbfound me.
- Now it was Adam who was dumbfounded as he stared in astonishment at the card in his hands.
- We just didn't understand, and I personally was dumfounded.
take someone's breath away, take by surprise, take aback, shake up, stop someone in their tracks, strike dumb, leave open-mouthed, leave aghast, catch off balance
informal flabbergast, floor, knock for six, knock sideways, knock out, knock the stuffing out of, bowl over, blow someone's mind, blow away
astonished, astounded, amazed, staggered, surprised, startled, stunned, confounded, nonplussed, stupefied, dazed, dumbstruck, open-mouthed, agape, speechless, at a loss for words, thunderstruck, goggle-eyed, wide-eyed;
informal flabbergasted, floored, flummoxed, knocked for six, knocked sideways, knocked out, bowled over, blown away, unable to believe one's eyes/ears
British informal gobsmacked
- Example sentences
- This story has me shaking my head in dumbfoundedness.
- His blank stare revealed his dumbfoundedness, and I knew he had no idea about the meaning of what I had just said.
- Cubans just shrugged when I showed my complete and utter dumbfoundedness at this unnecessary barrier to development and said "este pais" (this country).
Words that rhyme with dumbfoundabound, aground, around, astound, bound, compound, confound, expound, found, ground, hound, impound, interwound, mound, pound, profound, propound, redound, round, sound, stoneground, surround, theatre-in-the-round (US theater-in-the-round), underground, wound
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.