noun (plural duppies)West Indian
- A malevolent spirit or ghost.More example sentences
- To dispel my disappointment and any Irish duppies - ghosts - that might be hovering about we attacked the three hours scramble to the summit of Blue Mountain Peak.
- Many folk beliefs involve methods for keeping ghosts, or duppies, from returning to haunt living people.
- Children should not cry during the night though, because a duppy might steal the infant's voice, making it hoarse the next day.
late 18th century: probably of West African origin.
More definitions of duppyDefinition of duppy in:
- The US English dictionary