noun[mass noun] Botany
- The heartwood of a tree.More example sentences
- Duramen is resistant; therefore, pieces made entirely out of duramen need no preservation.
- High natural durability, duramen is resistant against biological attack; however it's resistance to underwater insects is low, vacuum-pressure chamber is recommended.
- Also, in general, the quality of a bolt is roughly divided into a comparatively hard alburnum and a comparatively soft duramen, and usually, each part has a different moisture content and/or color.
mid 19th century: from Latin, literally 'hardness', from durare 'harden'.
More definitions of duramenDefinition of duramen in:
- The US English dictionary