1A covered earthenware or cast-iron container for cooking casseroles.
- Place the chicken pieces and the soup broth ingredients, except the salt, in a Dutch oven or a casserole.
- A cast-iron Dutch oven of hot baked beans and a tray of bright silver eating tools sat at the other end of the serving table.
- Pour oil into a large saucepan, Dutch oven, or wok to a depth of about 3 inches.
1.1chiefly historical A large cooking pot or metal box serving as a simple oven, heated by being placed under or next to hot coals.
- Caveman Bill cooked it outside in his big cast-iron Dutch oven.
- When the coals are ready, a French marble cake will cook in a Dutch oven.
- Mounds of wood stood ready to stoke smoky campfires being used as Dutch ovens.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: Dutch oven
Definition of Dutch oven in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.