- A member of a powerful family, especially a hereditary ruler.More example sentences
- In Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Morocco, or Oman, the nation-state evolves in a political environment shaped by the dynast, his family, and their effective concentration of power.
- For one thing the elective crown was always an attraction to ambitious dynasts, and for another a collapse would upset the political balance in central Europe.
- The book centres on the rise of power of the Connacht dynasts, their constant warring among themselves and their decline brought about by endless conflict with their Kinsmen and invading Normans.
mid 17th century: via Latin from Greek dunastēs, from dunasthai 'be able'.
More definitions of dynastDefinition of dynast in:
- The US English dictionary