- A derogatory or unpleasant term used instead of a pleasant or neutral one. The opposite of euphemism.More example sentences
- Aside from this confusion, this use of homicide as a dysphemism for suicide obscures the singular depravity of suicide terrorism.
- Of course, this comes from the rebel psychologist for whom diagnostic psychiatry is an authoritarian priesthood, and ‘insanity’ an institutional dysphemism for ‘minority.’
- Now the honest word secondhand is relegated to the ash heap of dysphemism.
More definitions of dysphemismDefinition of dysphemism in:
- The US English dictionary