noun[mass noun] Psychiatry
Persistent mild depression: in some, at least 2 years of dysthymia lead to recurring major depression
More example sentences
- Like major depression, dysthymia can be treated with supportive therapy that provides advice, reassurance, sympathy, and education.
- Teplin and colleagues say they are especially concerned about the high rates of depression and dysthymia in detained youth.
- None of the studies included in our review specifically examined minor depressive disorder, mild presentations of a major depressive disorder, or dysthymia.
mid 19th century: from Greek dusthumia.
dysthymic adjective& noun
- More example sentences
- Unipolar depression has been classified into three mood disorders: Major depressive disorders, dysthymic disorders, and depressive disorders not otherwise specified.
- Today, St. John's wort is used for depression, dysthymic disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, menopause, migraine, fibromyalgia and a variety of back pain syndromes.
- Significant acting out frequently occurs among children and adolescents with major depression and dysthymic disorder.
Definition of dysthymia in:
- The US English dictionary