Resulting from or showing sincere and intense conviction: an earnest student two girls were in earnest conversation
More example sentences
- The truth was more that the agenda didn't fit with her sincere and earnest style, so why should she change in order to fit it?
- Instead, earnest students of public policy are expected to read them onscreen as retrieved via the internet.
- It is only through such earnest conversation that we can hope to approach clarity.
serious, serious-minded, solemn, grave, sober, humourless, staid, steady, intense; committed, dedicated, assiduous, keen, diligent, zealous, industrious, hard-working; studious, thoughtful, cerebral, deep, profound, bookish, donnishdevout, heartfelt, wholehearted, sincere, impassioned, deeply felt, from the heart, fervent, ardent, passionate, intense, burning, urgent
Old English eornoste (adjective), eornost (noun), of Germanic origin; related to German Ernst (noun).
- To a greater extent or more intensely than before: work began again in earnestMore example sentences
- Images of sun-kissed beaches wash over us as the travel agents' television advertising campaigns begin in earnest.
- This worldwide expansion, which began in earnest in the early 1970s, has not been without difficulties.
- The inquiry begins in earnest as the first witnesses give evidence.
- (Of a person) sincere and serious in intention: Cameron looked at him to make sure he was in earnestMore example sentences
- We move on to Knightley and at first you think he can't be serious, but Sutherland is always in earnest, even when joking.
- More example sentences
- They tried their hand at exquisite and complex movements in all earnestness and their exuberance made them appear younger.
- There is even something touching about the earnestness of their enthusiasm.
- His lyrics are straightforward, and not always the most poetic or intelligent, but his earnestness is evident.
A thing intended or regarded as a sign or promise of what is to come: the very deliberateness of their disguise is an earnest of their real aloofness
More example sentences
- It is but a trifle that Sauron fancies, and an earnest of your good will.
- It was a touching tribute never since accorded to any other author, and an earnest of the esteem in which he was held.