Definition of earthquake in English:
1A sudden violent shaking of the ground, typically causing great destruction, as a result of movements within the earth’s crust or volcanic action.
- When it came to measuring these big earthquakes, the Richter scale fell short.
- Nine on the Richter scale indicates an earthquake of absolutely awesome destructive power.
- This is one of the most destructive earthquakes of the twentieth century.
1.1A great upheaval: a political earthquake
More example sentences
- As a political earthquake, the end of the Empire measured right at the top of the Richter scale.
- Zambians rejected all those political earthquakes by the scruff of the neck.
- They would need to be at least six points ahead of the rest to do that, and that would take a political earthquake.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.