- A North American plant of the daisy family, whose flowers have a raised cone-like centre which appears to consist of soft spines. It is used in herbal medicine, largely for its antibiotic and wound-healing properties.
More example sentences
- Genus Echinacea, family Compositae: several species
- Both echinacea and goldenseal root have natural antibiotic activity and are extremely safe, when used as indicated on the label.
- Consider taking some goldenseal along with the echinacea.
- The antiviral echinacea and antibacterial goldenseal both stimulate the immune system.
modern Latin, from Greek ekhinos 'hedgehog'.
More definitions of echinaceaDefinition of echinacea in:
- The US English dictionary