- A binary star whose brightness varies periodically as the two components pass one in front of the other.More example sentences
- It was not until much later, when several similar cases were recognized, that the concept of eclipsing binaries gained a foothold, a hundred years after Goodricke and Huber got an inkling of the explanation.
- The star Algol was the first recognized as an eclipsing binary by Dutch-born astronomer John Goodricke in 1782.
- In addition, the observations with the Very Large Telescope have led to the discovery of seven new eclipsing binaries, that harbour stars with masses below one-third the mass of the Sun, a real bonanza for the astronomers.
More definitions of eclipsing binaryDefinition of eclipsing binary in:
- The US English dictionary