- 1Relating to economics or the economy: the government’s economic policyMore example sentences
- Negotiations have been complicated by court rulings over economic policy.
- The two political leaders conduct their argument on the margins of economic policy.
- Getting the public finances back into balance must be a key objective of economic policy.
- 1.1(Of a subject) considered in relation to trade, industry, and the creation of wealth: economic historyMore example sentences
- Economics and lessons from economic history suggest that this may well be the case.
- This book can be used with profit to grasp the essentials of British financial and economic history in these years.
- Ethnic relations in Saint Lucia are a product of the economic history of the island.
- 2Justified in terms of profitability: many organizations must become larger if they are to remain economicMore example sentences
- The recipe of conditions that will make collaboration economic must have not yet come together.
- It is, of course, part of the problem that we do not have an economic immigration policy.
- 2.1Requiring fewer resources or costing less money: solar power may provide a more economic solutionMore example sentences
- Many car parks are going because high land prices make building flats more economic.
late Middle English: via Old French and Latin from Greek oikonomikos, from oikonomia (see economy). Originally a noun, the word denoted household management or a person skilled in this, hence the early sense of the adjective (late 16th century) 'relating to household management'. Modern senses date from the mid 19th century.