Definition of economize in English:
Spend less; reduce one’s expenses: I have to economize where I can people on low incomes may try to economize on fuel
More example sentences
- It's a starting point, but if it's all you can earn, then you should expect to economize and reduce your expenses while you look for a way to earn a better income.
- He believes the sum required for this could be provided by economising on administrative expenses.
- Attempts to shave costs by economizing on energy use reduce pollution.
save (money), cut expenditure, cut costs;
cut back, make cutbacks, make cuts, retrench, husband one's resources, budget, be (more) economical, make economies, be thrifty, be sparing, be frugal, buy (more) cheaply, use less, reduce/decrease wastage, scrimp, scrimp and save, scrimp and scrape, cut corners, tighten one's belt, draw in one's horns, count the/your pennies, watch the/your pennies;
North American pinch the/your pennies
black English rake and scrape
- Example sentences
- There are some interesting moments in the paper, which recognizes a ‘linkage between culture and the economy’ that is ‘reflected in two associated processes: acculturation’ of the economy and economization of culture.’
- I refer to the increasing economization of our culture and the concomitant pressures bearing down on the churches to ‘market’ themselves to fickle religious ‘consumers’ in ways that distort or pervert the churches' message.
- We exist in an age in which print - the economization of writing - has an increasingly significant and precarious role in our lives.
- Example sentences
- The solution is an economizer that adds a second control which works in harmony with the outdoor thermostat and measures the outdoor air humidity.
- If your boiler is not equipped with an economizer then you're wasting energy up your stack.
- When outside temperatures are less than 55 degrees Fahrenheit (13 degrees Celsius), cooling is provided by outside air economizers for a ‘free’ cooling system.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia