Definition of ecotone in English:
A region of transition between two biological communities: ecotones between two habitats are often richer in species than either
More example sentences
- Belt transects or strip transects have traditionally been used to study transitions between community types, such as the ecotone between a forested community and the grassy vegetation in a forest opening.
- Tigers thrive in the areas known as ecotones that exist between cultivation and dense forest.
- The apparent importance of ecotones in defining habitat quality for Northern Spotted Owls in northwestern California is based on long-term observational data.
- Example sentences
- A major characteristic of barrens is the presence of many herbaceous species typical of tallgrass prairie and ecotonal habitats intermediate between prairie and forest.
- Based on the habitat preference of associated species R. eastmanii prefers the ecotonal habitat between the wet floodplains and the dry uplands.
- Angaraland equisetopsids are very diverse, especially in the Subangaraland ecotonal belt.
Pronunciation: /iːkə(ʊ)ˈtəʊn(ə)l/ /ɛkə(ʊ)ˈtəʊn(ə)l/adjective
Early 20th century: from eco- + Greek tonos 'tension'.
Definition of ecotone in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.