1 Biology , dated The more viscous, clear outer layer of the cytoplasm in amoeboid cells. Compare with endoplasm.
- Like other radiolarians, the cytoplasm of Polycystinea is divided into ectoplasm and endoplasm by a perforated protein capsule - not the nuclear membrane, but a novel structure unique to this group.
- Most acanthareans have a fibrous capsule separating endoplasm and ectoplasm.
2A supernatural viscous substance that supposedly exudes from the body of a medium during a spiritualistic trance and forms the material for the manifestation of spirits.
- This entity was supposed to be a manifestation or thought-form akin to the ectoplasm that is generated by mediums while in a trance state.
- He dominates this show from the start, greeting you on a huge screen with his upside-down face, spewing out six metres of gauze like some psychic medium ejecting ectoplasm.
- Physical manifestations or ‘materializations’ of spirits are also said to be produced by ectoplasm.
- Example sentences
- It's a handsome book, with bold typography and an atmospheric picture of a woman in a dark coat, walking into ectoplasmic mist.
- Security services and politicians, at a loss to know what's next, are more anxious than they let on about an ectoplasmic enemy.
- Since ectoplasmic excretions are not ghosts per se, the camera's role in the phenomenon was not to capture spirits but to witness human contact with spirits, record the manifestation in action, and document its fragile by-products.
Definition of ectoplasm in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.