- A European mountain plant which has woolly white bracts around its small flowers and downy grey-green leaves.
More example sentences
- Leontopodium alpinum, family Compositae
- Celebrated in The Sound of Music, the edelweiss has white star-shaped flowers and grows on rocks and in crevices.
- Even the dignified Sir Alec Guinness was so enamoured of his co-star in ‘Fall of the Roman Empire’ that he searched the Swiss mountains for a rare edelweiss to lay at her feet.
- Large carnivores, it turned out, were attracting people who wouldn't come just for the edelweiss and primrose.
mid 19th century: from German, from edel 'noble' + weiss 'white'.
More definitions of edelweissDefinition of edelweiss in:
- The US English dictionary