noun (plural same or Edos)
1A member of a people inhabiting the district of Benin in Nigeria.
- Other smaller groups include the Fulani, Ijaw, Kanuri, Ibibio, Tiv, and Edo.
- Addressing such matters as spirit doubles, personal aggressiveness, and hard work, they provide one of the most interesting ways by which to compare Delta peoples and their neighbors, including the Igbo and Edo.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Edo or their language.
- The masquerades used in Ekperi today and in the recent past are forms borrowed from the visual culture of non-Edo or other northern Edo peoples, possibly making them more celebratory than sacred.
- In a personal communication, Arnold Rubin said that John Picton had attributed the mask to a northern Edo group, the Etsako, and had felt it resembled a mask photographed in Fugar by K.C. Murray.
- The very eclecticism of eastern Etsako masks evokes an Igbo rather than an Edo model.
The name of Benin City in Edo.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.