- She suggests that the focus of the community college be on educating students and encouraging students to become active and responsible citizens.
- It is devoted to the responsibility of universities in educating their students and preparing them for life in this century.
- How can we as teachers educate students to be more sophisticated laborers?
- That way parents can educate their children in schools that are paid for by the state but not run by the state.
- Boys are given more preference, so the poor families think that one day girl will go after her marriage, so there is no worth of educating a girl child.
- Well, it served the purposes of the real corporate aristocracy to let them believe that until they had created the means of training and educating their replacements.
- Thus, now is the best time for all traditional leaders to start educating their subjects on the importance of storing their crops properly.
- You also get the chance to be educated in almost any subject there is and get paid good money to be in the army.
Late Middle English: from Latin educat- 'led out', from the verb educare, related to educere 'lead out' (see educe).
duct from mid 17th century:
Duct comes from Latin ductus meaning both ‘leading’ and ‘aqueduct’ formed from ducere ‘to lead’. The verb has produced numerous words in English including abduct (early 17th century) to lead away; conduct (Middle English) lead with; conduit (Middle English); deduce (Late Middle English) draw a conclusion from something; duke; educate (Late Middle English) ‘lead out’; induce (Late Middle English) lead in; introduce (Late Middle English) bring into (a group etc); produce (Late Middle English) ‘lead forward’; reduce (Late Middle English) bring back; seduce (Late Middle English) lead away (originally from duty, with the sexual sense developing in the M16th); subdue (Late Middle English) ‘draw from below’.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: edu|cate
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.