- A word or phrase that results from a mishearing or misinterpretation of another, an element of the original being substituted for one which sounds very similar (e.g. tow the line instead of toe the line).More example sentences
- By the way, there seems to be a little discrepancy in what an eggcorn actually is.
- In the comments, Phil asks "Are we witnessing the birth of an eggcorn?"
- Looks like we're way past the eggcorn stage here.
early 21st century: with reference to a misinterpretation of acorn.
More definitions of eggcornDefinition of eggcorn in:
- The US English dictionary