Definition of egregious in English:
- That's the kind of service recovery you'd expect from a decent company, especially after being publicly outed for egregious customer abuse.
- Opposition to the extremist activities of the university unions grew stronger as their abuses became more egregious.
- The desire for vengeance is very strong, simply because the abuses were so egregious.
- egregiously adverb
- Example sentences
- There is something terribly wrong in this country when a major story like that can be printed which is so egregiously wrong.
- The average price of U.S. electricity fell throughout the twentieth century, and it has kept falling since, except in egregiously mismanaged markets such as California's.
- We live in a society which has become so accustomed to accepting egregiously mindless anti-social behaviour as meaningful rebellion that it could see a hero lurking somewhere in a hooligan.
- egregiousness noun
- Example sentences
- We hardly recognize the egregiousness of insults like this when they most urgently need to be remembered.
- The Times had its several pomposities and egregiousness.
- The English dub is awful, of course, but since 99% of all anime is served up this way in North America, it becomes increasingly difficult to put red marks on a disc for this egregiousness.
Mid 16th century (in sense 2): from Latin egregius 'illustrious', literally 'standing out from the flock', from ex- 'out' + grex, greg- 'flock'. Sense 1 (late 16th century) probably arose as an ironical use.
congregate from Late Middle English:
The Latin word for a herd or flock was grex, giving congregare, meaning ‘to collect into a herd or flock, to unite’. Gregarious (mid 17th century), meaning ‘fond of company’, is also descended from grex, as are aggregate (Late Middle English) ‘herd together’; egregious (mid 16th century) ‘standing out from the herd’ and originally complimentary; and segregation (mid 16th century) ‘set apart from the herd’.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.