Definition of Egyptian in English:
1Relating to Egypt or its people.
- He sees a growing number of veiled women on Cairo streets as a sign that Egyptian society is turning more religious.
- An Egyptian sailor died in Brazil while unwittingly transporting an anthrax-laden suitcase from the Middle East.
- It may be that leaving the Egyptian government to fend for itself could lead to a worse government in its place.
1.1Relating to the culture or language of ancient Egypt: an Egyptian obelisk
More example sentences
- Coptic, a late form of ancient Egyptian language, was the common speech of Egypt and was used by the Coptic church in its liturgy.
- In its attempt to inform the public of ancient Egyptian culture, the Field Museum fails to paint a complete and informative picture.
- The reign of the pharaoh Amenhotep III marks the zenith of ancient Egyptian civilisation, both in terms of political power and cultural achievement.
nounBack to top
1A native of ancient or modern Egypt, or a person of Egyptian descent.
- What help was there for ancient Egyptians when they were still alive?
- The ancient Greeks, Egyptians and Chinese regularly used magnets in healing.
- The ancient Egyptians had the cross as a religious symbol of their Gods.
2 [mass noun] The Afro-Asiatic language used in ancient Egypt, attested from circa 3000 bc. It is represented in its oldest stages by hieroglyphic inscriptions and in its latest form by Coptic; it has been replaced in modern use by Arabic.
- The name sesame is one of the few words to have passed into modern languages from ancient Egyptian, in which it was sesemt.
- Hieroglyphs were phonetic and the underlying language was Egyptian.
- She taught Classical Languages (including Egyptian, Ancient Greek and Latin) at a Waldorf School for six years.
- Example sentences
- Effectively, it seems, the pyramid served both as a gigantic training project and - deliberately or not - as a source of ‘Egyptianisation’.
- After this success, he set about the ‘Egyptianisation’ of his country.
- This Egyptianization of the Greek monarchy was only superficial.
- Egyptianize (also Egyptianise) verb
- Example sentences
- Two small gold pendants from Ugarit made of sheet gold with incised imagery show highly Egyptianized females in long robes seated on high-backed chairs.
- One remarkable head, probably but not certainly Cleopatra, depicts a woman in Egyptianized pose and regalia, but in marble rather than the stones employed in native sculpture, and is executed in a purely Greek sculptural style.
- Excavation of the Greek settlement at Naukratis, the first autonomous foreign settlement permitted in Egypt under pharaonic rule, yielded a series of sixth-century B.C.E. Greek votive images created in an Egyptianizing style.
Words that rhyme with Egyptianascription, circumscription, conscription, decryption, description, encryption, inscription, misdescription, prescription, subscription, superscription, transcription
Definition of Egyptian in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.