Definition of eh in English:
Used to represent a sound made in speech, especially one used to express enquiry, surprise, or to elicit agreement: ‘Eh? What’s this?’
More example sentences
- Can I buy you fellas a beer while Alan and I farm a little, eh?
- ‘Look at that faucet, eh!’ exclaims a mother to her friend.
- He had become hard of hearing and occasionally, with the sound of a distant lawn mower coming from outside, leaned forward to say ‘Eh?
- eh up
- Northern English Used as a greeting, to express surprise, or to attract someone’s attention: eh up, I’m talking to you!More example sentences
- Multicultural tourists will gaze at us and our quaint buildings and cobbled streets from the tops of buses as we shuffle along with heavy shopping unable to pay parking fees, ignoring shouts of ‘eh up Yorkshire puddings.’
- ‘Eh up young 'uns!’ they used to yell, as we staggered away
- Eh up, look at Gladys. Wonder what mischief she's up to.
Natural utterance: first recorded in English in the mid 16th century.
Words that rhyme with ehaffray, agley, aka, allay, Angers, A-OK, appellation contrôlée, array, assay, astray, au fait, auto-da-fé, away, aweigh, aye, bay, belay, betray, bey, Bombay, Bordet, boulevardier, bouquet, brae, bray, café au lait, Carné, cassoulet, Cathay, chassé, chevet, chez, chiné, clay, convey, Cray, crème brûlée, crudités, cuvée, cy-pres, day, decay, deejay, dégagé, distinguée, downplay, dray, Dufay, Dushanbe, embay, engagé, essay, everyday, faraway, fay, fey, flay, fray, Frey, fromage frais, gainsay, Gaye, Genet, giclee, gilet, glissé, gray, grey, halfway, hay, heigh, hey, hooray, Hubei, Hué, hurray, inveigh, jay, jeunesse dorée, José, Kay, Kaye, Klee, Kray, Lae, lay, lei, Littré, Lough Neagh, lwei, Mae, maguey, Malay, Mallarmé, Mandalay, Marseilles, may, midday, midway, mislay, misplay, Monterrey, Na-Dene, nay, né, née, neigh, Ney, noway, obey, O'Dea, okay, olé, outlay, outplay, outstay, outweigh, oyez, part-way, pay, Pei, per se, pince-nez, play, portray, pray, prey, purvey, qua, Quai d'Orsay, Rae, rangé, ray, re, reflet, relevé, roman-à-clef, Santa Fé, say, sei, Shar Pei, shay, slay, sleigh, sley, spae, spay, Spey, splay, spray, stay, straightaway, straightway, strathspey, stray, Sui, survey, sway, Taipei, Tay, they, today, tokay, Torbay, Tournai, trait, tray, trey, two-way, ukiyo-e, underlay, way, waylay, Wei, weigh, wey, Whangarei, whey, yea
Definition of eh in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.