(also eider duck)
noun (plural same or eiders)
A northern sea duck, of which the male is mainly black-and-white with a coloured head, and the female brown.
- Genus Somateria (and Polysticta), family Anatidae: four species
More example sentences
- Sea ducks like scoters and eiders are also divers.
- Both of these types are plentiful on the Cape, as are sea ducks, such as scoters and eiders, viewable from many vantage points.
- They frequently nest in colonies, often in association with eiders.
Definition of eider in:
- The US English dictionary