nounMathematics & Physics
- Each of a set of independent functions which are the solutions to a given differential equation.More example sentences
- In this thesis he studied the representation of arbitrary functions by the eigenfunctions of partial differential equations and other given sets of functions.
- Within the next three years Stone published 10 more papers on various aspects of the theory of orthogonal expansions, especially expansions in terms of eigenfunctions of linear differential equations.
- From 1939 Titchmarsh concentrated on the theory of series expansions of eigenfunctions of differential equations, work which helped to resolve problems in quantum mechanics.
More definitions of eigenfunctionDefinition of eigenfunction in:
- The US English dictionary