Definition of eigenvalue in English:
nounMathematics & Physics
1Each of a set of values of a parameter for which a differential equation has a non-zero solution (an eigenfunction) under given conditions.
- He showed that in this case the integral equation had real eigenvalues, and the solutions corresponding to these eigenvalues he called eigenfunctions.
- It was a matter of estimating eigenvalues of non-self-adjoint differential equations and matrices.
- In a very natural way, concepts of linear algebra, including eigenvalues and eigenvectors, appear.
2Any number such that a given matrix minus that number times the identity matrix has zero determinant.
- In particular he proved results on the existence of matrices with given eigenvalues and given diagonal elements.
- This is where those eigenvalues of random Hermitian matrices enter the picture.
- The eigenvalue effective population size, equal to the leading eigenvalue of this matrix is derived.
Definition of eigenvalue in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan