Definition of eight ball in English:
1 (also eight-ball pool) [mass noun] A variety of the game of pool.
- Often times, we hold back in the game of eight ball because we think we will end up with no finishing shot and our opponent will have a clear change to win the game.
- In the game of eight ball you will be exposed to many pitfalls.
- He took up snooker and eight ball pool, becoming good at both.
1.1 [count noun] The black ball, numbered eight, in eight ball.
- The cue ball causes the eight ball to roll into a pocket.
- I've reversed banked many an eight ball to give my opponent a ‘hopeless’ feeling.
- ‘Thanks,’ Mitchell said simply, then failed at shooting the black eight ball into the corner pocket.
2 informal A portion of an illegal drug weighing an eighth of an ounce (3.54 g).
- The lab did not check to see how much of the eight ball was meth and how much was cutting agent.
- We're talking people who need a abacus to work out how many grams are in an eight ball.
- They are accused of selling an eight ball of coke to another cop.
behind the eight ball
- informal At a disadvantage: don’t let cash-flow crises put you behind the eight ballMore example sentences
- In that respect, any free independent publication will be starting behind the eight ball, with no subsidies, let alone a historical tradition or audience.
- I know I am really behind the eight ball on this one.
- It is clear that students from poorer families start behind the eight ball and are not given enough extra assistance
Definition of eight ball in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia