1 (also eight-ball pool) [mass noun] A variety of the game of pool.
- Often times, we hold back in the game of eight ball because we think we will end up with no finishing shot and our opponent will have a clear change to win the game.
- In the game of eight ball you will be exposed to many pitfalls.
- He took up snooker and eight ball pool, becoming good at both.
1.1 [count noun] The black ball, numbered eight, in eight ball.
- The cue ball causes the eight ball to roll into a pocket.
- I've reversed banked many an eight ball to give my opponent a ‘hopeless’ feeling.
- ‘Thanks,’ Mitchell said simply, then failed at shooting the black eight ball into the corner pocket.
2 informal A portion of an illegal drug weighing an eighth of an ounce (3.54 g).
- The lab did not check to see how much of the eight ball was meth and how much was cutting agent.
- We're talking people who need a abacus to work out how many grams are in an eight ball.
- They are accused of selling an eight ball of coke to another cop.
behind the eight ball
- informal At a disadvantage: don’t let cash-flow crises put you behind the eight ballMore example sentences
- In that respect, any free independent publication will be starting behind the eight ball, with no subsidies, let alone a historical tradition or audience.
- I know I am really behind the eight ball on this one.
- It is clear that students from poorer families start behind the eight ball and are not given enough extra assistance
Definition of eight ball in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.