- 1Equivalent to the product of two and nine; one more than seventeen, or eight more than ten; 18: she wrote eighteen novels out of sixty batches checked, eighteen were incorrect eighteen of the guests were gathered (Roman numeral: xviii or XVIII)More example sentences
- I paid with a twenty and got seventeen or eighteen dollars in change.
- Seventeen out of eighteen provinces were in open revolt.
- It was submitted that his decision in the claimant's case to extend the period of nine months to eighteen months was a matter of judgement which was within his discretion.
- 1.1A set or team of eighteen individuals.More example sentences
- The bunkers were in an unbelievable condition no doubt due to the efforts by the ground keepers on the other eighteen which made them almost unplayable.
- They lost three, including the first of the tour, an innings defeat by a Victorian eighteen.
- This panel was reduced and Aoife found herself in the last eighteen.
- 1.2Eighteen years old: he was barely eighteenMore example sentences
- She was barely eighteen, apparently, and looked younger.
- I was eighteen and I barely knew anything about the world around me!
- John emigrated to England at the age of eighteen.
- 1.3A size of garment or other merchandise denoted by eighteen.More example sentences
- She stocks sizes eight to eighteen and takes orders for bigger sizes.
- Judging by old photos of her, she looked to be about a size eighteen.
- More example sentences
- In the eighteenth century the Dutch lost their position as an important maritime power to England.
- Until the middle of the eighteenth century, the majority of all books published were religious in nature.
- He began the trial on his eighteenth birthday, the day he became eligible to participate.
More definitions of eighteenDefinition of eighteen in:
- The US English dictionary