cardinal number (plural eighties)
- By the eve of the Revolution, eighty to ninety percent of rural households owned spinning wheels, and almost half owned looms.
- I think it's about eighty or ninety years old at most, but it has an extremely unusual quality.
- I read somewhere that a child, whose parents both smoke twenty a day, has inhaled the equivalent of eighty cigarettes worth of passive smoke in one year.
- During the eighties he found himself seconded to the new ambulance control room, in Preston.
- It was in the eighties that underworld characters in the movies began to look more realistic.
- There had been a change in the nature of unemployment since the early eighties.
- When we got in the jeep he sped about eighty down the highway.
- You should've seen her last night, driving at seventy miles per hour going on eighty, blasting rock music.
- He pushed the speed up to eighty on a forty mile road.
- Example sentences
- The thought of having to listen for eightieth time to some youngster reciting ‘I wandered lonely as a cloud’ and still having to retain some benign encouraging smile seems to me to be beyond the call of duty.
- The New Yorker celebrates its eightieth anniversary with a travelling exhibition of memorable cartoons inked by notable cartoonists from the past eight decades.
- Well, here we are, 2003 already, and next birthday will be my eightieth.
eightyfold adjective& adverb
- Example sentences
- An eightyfold increase in coal production led to the need for more lumber for mine props, timbers, and planks.
- In 2003, imports from China were worth $3.3 billion, an eightyfold rise over 1992.
Old English hunde(a)htatig, from hund (of uncertain origin) + e(a)hta 'eight' + -tig (see -ty2); the first element was lost early in the Middle English period.
Words that rhyme with eightyAlbacete, Haiti, Katy, Kuwaiti, Leyte, matey, pratie, slaty, weighty
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: eighty
Definition of eighty in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.