- Denoting a type of consonant in some languages (e.g. Hausa) produced by sudden release of pressure from the glottis.More example sentences
- In fact, it represents an ejective velar stop; the combinations represent a glottalized velar fricative and labialized versions of the first two.
- But the final defeating challenge must be the ‘ejective ‘consonants, expressed with a burst of breath.’
- So let's practice distinguishing ejective from aspirated stops.
nounBack to top
- An ejective consonant.More example sentences
- Some of the ejectives are simply not indicated as being so; others are incorrectly labelled ‘plosive’.
- It may take a bit of practice to learn how to make an ejective.
- The purpose of the paper is to investigate acoustic characteristics which distinguish ejectives from pulmonic stops in Ingush.
More definitions of ejectiveDefinition of ejective in:
- The US English dictionary