Definition of Elamite in English:
1A native or inhabitant of ancient Elam.
- This new empire lasted until roughly 2000 when pressure from the Elamites and Amorites reached its culmination with the capture and devastation of Ur.
- One could have sworn that all those Parthians, Medes, Mespotamians, Cappadocians, Elamites, Cretans, Arabians, etc, mentioned in the story of the first Pentecost, had descended on Ballina!
- The Elamites apparently adopted the sexagesimal system from the Sumerians and only used a decimal notation when counting animals.
2 [mass noun] The agglutinative language spoken in ancient Elam from the 3rd millennium to the 4th century bc, of which a few records in pictographic and cuneiform script survive.
- This system developed over the succeeding centuries to form Akkadian, Eblaite, Elamite, Hititte, Hurrian, and Old Persian.
- In 1844, Rawlinson scaled the almost sheer cliffs of Bisitun, in Persia, copying relief sculptures and their accompanying cuneiform inscriptions in Old Persian, Elamite and Babylonian.
- We know that the Middle East of 5000 years ago was using a variety of unrelated languages, Hurrian, Egyptian, Sumerian, Elamite, Hittite, and Akkadian, where for the last 1000 years there has been nothing but Arabic and Persian.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the ancient Elamites or their language.
- Elam, whose capital was at Susa, was a part of Sumerian-Mesopotamian cultural region although the Elamite language does not seem to be related to Sumerian.
- The allegory means that Babylonian gods replaced Elamite gods in Susa in the last years of the Assyrian Empire, and it was written at a time when the Macedonians posed the kind of danger to the Jews that the story describes.
- In this story, Mordecai defeats his adversary Haman (Hammon, the creator god in the Elamite pantheon), with Esther's advice and help.
Definition of Elamite in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.